GUEST ARTIST, CELITA PERILLO


Celita lives in Italy, but is originally from Pennysylvania. Celita makes beautiful papercuttings (also known as Scherenschnitte). Here is her story in her own words:

I am not an artist in the normal sense of the word, but I appreciate art enough to express myself in its essence. God takes my hands and has recently been showing me how much beauty He can make when combined with His inspiration.



I first tried papercutting in April 2008. I have always loved making collages and using paper, scissors and glue. I googled the art form of Scherenschnitte after finding an artist whose lovely pieces made me want to give papercutting a try. I seemed to find the possibilities of papercuts everywhere: in the movies I watched, on a walk outside, while I did the household chores, etc. I love when my papercuts represent my life, my memories and my family. Then they are personal and done with love. I spend a lot of time making cuts especially for my family's birthdays and for gifts for extended family and friends' special events. I spent the first year practicing cuts of anything and everything. My faith journey, my joy and even some of my sorrows are evident in some of my pieces. My hope is that I can encourage or bless someone else through the words, images and feel of what I can portray through paper.


No comments: